Re: Dated singing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByDennis Night on February 26, 2004 at 05:17:31:

In Reply to: Re: Dated singing posted bykurt on February 25, 2004 at 21:28:52:

: Dated singing?

: Surely you don't mean the programs on which Frank Sinatra appeared? Or Dick Haymes? Or Benny Goodman? Or Louis Armstrong? Or (drumroll, please, followed by a cornet playing WHEN THE BLUE OF THE NIGHT MEETS THE GOLD OF THE DAY) Bing Crosby? (Extended applause)

: The orchestras, all of them, played swing numbers from the beginning. But the tenor singers were expected to perform ballads. Very mainstream. And Dennis Day's songs were straight off the Hit Parade. Not until the late 1940s did his numbers turn to more sentimental mushy stuff.

: : Many of the JB shows stand up well even today but the main thing that dates them is the singing.In the time of swing, Frank Sinatra etc. it must have seemed old fashioned even then.

+++++
I agree with you that Sinatra and co. sounded ( and still sound fantastic) but I still think that Dennis's stuff sounded corny and dated . Songs such as Sweet Little Mother of Mine.........yuk. Bring on Sinatra or any of the others including Phil Harris and you're back in the swinging forties.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]