Re: ...sort of a Mickey Rooney with just enough Roddy McDowell to hold me down

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Bykurt on February 26, 2004 at 08:47:51:

In Reply to: ...sort of a Mickey Rooney with just enough Roddy McDowell to hold me down posted byTEADJones on February 25, 2004 at 22:54:53:

(Wait a second while I adjust my cap and gown like Kay Kyser)

STUDENTS!

This brings us to the vaunted topic of the Mickey Rooney Joke, a topic so durable and so good for a quick laugh, it was first used at the 1940 Oscars by Bob "I Wanna Tellya" Hope and still in use by Steve Martin at the 2003 Oscars.

The many-married Mickey Rooney, aka The Mick, aka Joe Yule Jr., aka Andy Hardy, was known in 1947 as Ava Gardner's ex-husband and although still technically married to his second wife, as a gallavanting man about town. He was cutting quite a swath through Hollywood starletdom in those days. Jokes about this came in a slight second to jokes about his height.

In 1940, Hope was telling jokes about Rooney telling Lewis Stone (Judge Hardy) about the facts of life. Big laughs there.

Roddy McDowell, in real life not, uh, a chaser of girls, was still playing, in 1947, the same types of boy parts he had played in 1939's HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY.

So to dissect Phil's joke, he's saying he's a mixture of sexual potency with just enough, uh, asexual (or perhaps effeminacy) to, uh, hold him, uh, down.

In 1947, this qualified as a slightly racy thing to say.
------------------------------------------------
: Hey Bensters,

: O.K., I need help hear (pun). For the Benny show 47-11-0N, at about 11.5 minutes into it, Phil says "Think it over dad... {other text] I'm alive... I'm sharp... I'm sort of a Mickey Rooney with just enough Roddy McDowell to hold me down." It gets a BIG laugh, but, other than the two styles of vocal delivery being different (a midwestern American dialect and [I'm guessing] West London British), I don't quite get the bang of the joke. Any ideas?

: Regs.,

: Ted

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]