Re: Censorship

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Byjerry4opry on February 28, 2004 at 05:26:31:

In Reply to: Censorship posted byBobR on February 27, 2004 at 23:04:45:

: "...shock jocks such as Howard Stern..."

-----------------

i wouldn't call what Clear Channel did to Howard Stern censorship. the government isn't telling Stern he can't do this or that. Clear Channel, which owned 6 radio stations that carried his show, technically "owns" everything that's on their stations and as a result THEY (not the government/FCC) have the final say on what gets on the air and what doesn't from an owner/employee viewpoint. it's tricky and confusing but it isn't censorship on the FCC's behalf because he's still on 50 other stations. however, if the FCC would send out a letter that says: "Mr. Stern, we don't like what you're doing on the air and we're warning you to stop or you'll be suspended indefinitely"...THAT's censorship because the government got involved...but Clear Channel's decision is more of a business choice because they don't want Stern affiliated with their stations because of his vulgarity...it took them this long to realize how sick Stern is, which i found hilarious! but anyway, forgive my long windedness but i've listened to a lot of people on TalkRadio crying "censorship" but nobody ever brought up what i just did about the differences between the two...not even the radio hosts which was odd!?!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]