Re: Censorship

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on February 29, 2004 at 02:15:36:

In Reply to: Censorship posted byBobR on February 27, 2004 at 23:04:45:

: I am curious if Jack's show ever experienced any censorship. Censorship was a major problem of movies during the forties and I recall that Edgar Bergman and Charlie McCarthy had trouble with a Mae West show.Have there ever been any sexual induendos on the Benny show that was considered under the parameters of too risque for the Hays dept? Considering the to do with shock jocks such as Howard Stern, Benny's show was prim and proper in comparison.
=============================
There are several great stories about Jack, his writers, and the censors. Often they would intentionally plant things in the script that they knew would get red-penned by the censor, in the hopes that other things would be allowed.

One classic story is of the show when it is said that Veola Vonn (a mightily buxom woman, just in case anyone doesn't know) is encountered wearing fraternity pins (no sweater, just pins). The censor made them dramatically increase the number of pins originally scripted, suppposedly to insure proper coverage of her cleavage. In fact, it made the joke dirtier in suggesting that Vonn would need such a vast number of pins for coverage.

Another strange story concerns a line about a buffalo stampede. One censor insisted that they change the line to a "bison stampede", as there were no buffalo in the area where the skit was set.

There are other stories as well, but I'll let other folks here tell them.

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]