Censorship Surprises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on February 29, 2004 at 09:21:57:

In Reply to: Re: Censorship posted byLL on February 29, 2004 at 02:15:36:

Actually, there were several hilarious moments of Jack's radio and TV programs that I'm surprised MADE it past the censor's "red pencil":

1. Of course, there's the famous rude "razz" sound made by that sweet little bird in the 1938 and 1939 "Snow White" sketches (which normally would have been considered VERY offensive back then).

2. There's a 1942 show where Jack is using Errol Flynn's dressing room at Warner Bros., because Flynn is home sick with a cold. Flynn's girlfriends keep phoning the dressing room looking for Errol. One call has Jack saying, "No, I'm sorry Miss, Mr. Flynn is home in bed with a cold..(pause)...a COLD!". The studio audience gave out with a big "dirty laugh" at THAT one!

3. There were also occassional gags that had "gay" overtones in Jack's shows....like Kenny Baker would ask, "What's the matter, Jack? Don't you think that I like girls?" and Jack would shoot back with, "Well, you've got a HIGH VOICE, if THAT means anything!", and similar types of gags.

4. On Jack's TV show, he was having one of his "amateur talent contests", and a sexy, well-endowed woman sang a straight operetta number, a la Jeanette MacDonald. For her second number, she started singing "Body and Soul", and then suddenly went straight into a bump-and-grind striptease! Although Jack yelled for a dressing screen to be brought out on stage, and although we didn't actually see the woman undressed, we DID see some pretty raunchy girations, bumps and similar stripper moves....plus articles of her clothing were being thrown over the screen as she exited the stage. This kind of thing was pretty "raw" for a family TV show in the late 1950's/early 1960s!

Those are a few of the Benny bits that I'm surprised made it to the "finished product"!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]