Just a Thought...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByDavid M. Lynch on March 01, 2004 at 19:34:36:

In Reply to: Re: Handling Jack's Bad Review posted byjerry4opry on March 01, 2004 at 00:58:09:

: : "In the review, Mr. Seldes wrote that Jack's program was "mean-spirited", with much of the humor relying on cheap insults and other nasty exchanges among the cast...."

: ---------------------

: that sounds strange, doesn't it? the criticism was in 1946 and only THEN did the critic have a problem with the show after 14 years on the air!?! i didn't hear that show but it sounds like Jack and the gang really put the critic in his place by showing him unreal it would sound if everyone was happy and chipper and content with the world.

:
:

Just a thought (well, two, really), but maybe Mr. Seldes had just gotten his job at "Esquire," and said, "I always wanted to go after the Benny show, and now I have a venue in which to do it!" Or perhaps, he'd worked for "Esquire" a while, but now had a new, more permissive editor. Possibly, previous editors had reined him in: "You're not writing this about Jack Benny! I like him!"

Who really can say without having been there, or having access to someone who was, or even having a stack of mid-1940s "Esquire" mags handy? I could go for the latter, personally, if for nothing else than all those Antonio Vargas "Varga" illustrations!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]