Re: Jack hosted the 1943 Oscars

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on March 02, 2004 at 11:39:58:

In Reply to: Jack hosted the 1943 Oscars posted bykurt on March 02, 2004 at 08:58:07:

: The ceremony for the 1943 Oscars, aka the Casablanca Oscars, was held in 1944, and Jack hosted the braodcast portion, which, for the first time, was also broadcast on shortwave overseas.

: The ceremony at that time was quite brief, airtime being valuable. So there were some short acceptance speeches, but extremely short.

: Not much comedy, either, unless you count Jack asking everyone who came to the microphone, "Have, uh, you seen George Washington Slept Here?"

-----------------------------------

Yes, I've heard a recording of that Oscar broadcast, and it's interesting to note that they crammed all of the "important" awards (Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Picture, etc.) together to fit into that alotted broadcast time.

For me, the funniest part of the broadcast is the "pre-show", with George Jessel standing in the lobby of the theatre, trying to get stars (like Bogie) to come over and say a few words as they walk in...and most of them (including Bogie) refusing, brushing Jessel off with a "Sorry, I don't have time" attitude!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]