The "Fake" Mary Strikes Again!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on September 07, 2001 at 22:09:09:

In Reply to: Re: The "Fake" Mary posted byLaura Leff on September 05, 2001 at 13:09:25:

: : Thanks for the very complete explanation. I have since discovered that this matter is mentioned in the FAQ section ("When was Jack Benny's first and last radio show?"). The stand-in is referred to as an "unidentified" actress. Apparently the FAQ author didn't have all of the information you have shared with us.

: The actress standing in for Mary on the widely-distributed copy of the last show has never been officially identified. Some people maintain that it was Jeanette Eyemann, some maintain that it was Joan Benny, and others say it was someone else. I have a potential lead on being able to put this question to rest, and will let you know when I have more information.

: --Laura Leff
: President, IJBFC
: www.jackbenny.org

That lady stand-in is also heard in minor parts on the Benny radio show throughout the late 1940's and 50's. One of her most memorable appearances is on the Benny show of 1/4/48. Jack and Mary are standing in a long line waiting to get tickets for the Rose Bowl Game. While Jack is talking with Mary he keeps stopping to yell at the person behind him: "HEY YOU BACK THERE, STOP SHOVING!" "I SAID STOP SHOVING!" "LOOK, I TOLD YOU TWICE TO STOP SHOVING...NOW IF YOU DON'T, I'LL DRAG YOU OUTTA LINE AND...." then the woman who would eventually become Mary's stand-in says, "I can't help it Mister, people are pushing ME!" After a big audience laugh, Jack then says to Mary, "Well, lucky for her she's wearing glasses!" That bit ALWAYS cracks me up!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]