Re: Larry Stevens

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on November 20, 2001 at 01:38:19:

In Reply to: Larry Stevens posted byTanya Shaw on November 19, 2001 at 22:34:37:

: I got to thinking the other day about Larry Stevens.
: Did Larry have any interraction with the rest of the
: cast when he wasn't singing? Kenny Baker did and of
: course Dennis did also. I don't recall ever hearing
: Larry deliver any lines outside of his singing. Anybody
: know the answer to this?

Yes, Larry did have some speaking lines, but usually not any FUNNY ones. In the "sitcom"-format episodes, Larry would often drop by Jack's house to rehearse his song, but he never had the comedy lines or character that Dennis Day (or even Kenny Baker) had. Also, in his speaking lines Larry always addressed the other cast members very formally and respectfully: ("Mr. Benny, Mr. Harris, Miss Livingston", etc.). I've read that Jack was very up-front with Larry when he hired him....He told Larry that his stint with the Benny program was strictly a temporary "fill-in" position until Dennis Day came back from the service. Because of this, Larry was on hand strictly to furnish the week's song, which is why no real effort was made to supply him with a strong comedy personality. While Larry Stevens didn't really add to the comedy of the Benny program, I do find that his rather easy-going, relaxed on-air personality made him a pleasant addition to Jack's show...even if it WAS only temporary.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]