Rodney Dangerfield on Jack's Show?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByChris Coen on November 25, 2001 at 02:05:14:

In the 12-30-51 episode, "New Year's Eve Date With a French Girl," Jack takes Helene Francois to a nightclub (Mary and Dennis also go along). Near the end of the show, they do the recurring gag where the emcee of the club announces that a famous star of "stage, screen, radio and now television" is in the audience. Jack believes that the emcee is talking about him and readies himself to make a speech. Then the emcee announces a "Rodney Dangerfield." It is mentioned that he has just This man makes a speech in a voice that sounds similar to that of the Senator on Allen's Alley. I am suspicious that it is played by Alan Reed, who I believe appeared on other Benny episodes, and is probably most famous for being the voice of Fred Flintstone.

I seem to remember that this name is mentioned in an earlier episode as well. The man speaking at the nightclub doesn't sound anything like the "I can't get no respect" Rodney Dangerfield. The IMDB has only one listing for Rodney Dangerfield, and his biography there mentions that he, "worked nightclubs in the 1940s under the stage name Jack Roy...was a businessman throughout the 1950s, and returned to stand-up comedy in the 1960s."

So is the Rodney Dangerfield mentioned in the 12-30-51 episode just a character that they made up for the show? Was he a legitimate person from stage, screen, radio and television in the 40s and 50s? Was it the same Rodney Dangerfield from the 70s, 80s and 90s, but with a different routine?

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]