Re: That Certain "Snow White" Gag

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByTanya Shaw on December 03, 2001 at 20:52:52:

In Reply to: Re: That Certain "Snow White" Gag posted byGerry O. on December 03, 2001 at 20:21:02:

: : : : In the 1930s, the Benny program regularly reperformed entire sketches that had been well- received the first time. One year, the show even invited the listening audience to nominate their favorites. As to the two versions of "Snow White and the Seven Gangsters," I think I prefer the second version. The first one, in April 1938, featured Sam Hearn, who at one point calls Mary "my little pickaninny." The second one, in January 1939, replaced Hearn with Andy Devine.

: : : You may like the second version better, but you can't beat the HILARIOUS audience reaction in the FIRST version when Snow White says "Hello" to "that cute little bird"! In fact, you can hear Don Wilson completely LOSING IT! They talk about the "Your Money Or Your Life" gag as being the biggest Benny show laugh, but the audience laughter after that bird's sound effect in "Snow White" HAS to rank right up there!

: : What exactly happens after Snow White says hello, hhhhhmmmmmm?????? ;-)

: That "cute little bird" gives Mary (as Snow White) the LOUDEST, RUDEST "rasberry" sound you ever heard! It really takes the studio audience by surprise...plus, you just didn't HEAR noises like that on network radio programs very often (if at all)! Once the audience calms down (which takes quite a while), Mary (still fighting back laughter) says, "My, isn't that pretty!", and Jack chimes in with "That bird is something of a critic!".

Thank you, thank you so much for sharing that with us! I needed the laugh! I'll have to check it out. A raspberry, huh? I wonder if Mel Blanc or the sound man, Virgil, was responsible for it. :-)

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]