"Super Glue" Benny

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on December 10, 2001 at 08:01:52:

In Reply to: Re: More On Morrow and Beloin posted byGary on December 10, 2001 at 00:10:13:

: Do you know how much of an influence Jack had on the writing of the show? As much as I (now) appreciate the talent of Morrow and Beloin, I have to admit that those shows where Jack is absent simply aren't as funny as they should be...and that isn't simply because Jack is gone. The pacing of the show seems off, the lines aren't as clever, and the rest of the cast seem to be off character. I like the one where George and Gracie step in (and Gracie insists that the show be called, "30 minutes of refinement"), and the first one with Orson is very good, but afterwards, things seem...off...

: Does anyone agree?

: g

Oh yes, I heartily agree with you....Jack was definitely the "glue" which held the show together! You're right about those Jack-less shows. If you notice, the Orson Welles shows have Mary doing some of Jack's character (making fun of Don's weight, etc.), but "Blue Eyes" is sorely missed. Even if the other characters had ALL of the funny lines (which was hardly ever the actual case), Jack was the target which many of those funny lines were directed at. Something else which I've thought of...On those Orson Welles shows, I wonder how hard the rest of the cast found it to try to be funny. Although Jack's illness was publically described on the show as a "bad cold", he was actually in the hospital, near death with a very severe case of pneumonia. With THAT on everyone's mind, it's understandable if their timing was a bit off...but again, the show really NEEDED Jack!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]