A GREAT Benny Rubin Character

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on December 11, 2001 at 17:24:19:

In Reply to: Mary Kelly was the Blue Fairy? posted bykurt on December 11, 2001 at 14:38:36:

: Fascinating, if true. The program relied on a relatively small pool of character voices, especially when it originated in New York. The actor who provided the effeminate voice of Jerkfinkle on a couple of programs in April 1940, for instance, reappeared as Jack's "bodyguard" in December.

: Supposedly Benny Rubin appeared for many years in a variety of voices, but I've never been able to tell which character voices he did.

: Jack was certainly a loyal employer. Sam Hearn appeared as Schlepperman (although the character's name was not used) in a 1963 TV program. The "Landrews Sisters" routine used on a TV program was originally written by Harry Conn for use in Jack's stage shows in the 1930s.

: Regarding illness: There's an editing error in one of Jack's bios, in which mention is made that Jack's terminal pancreatic cancer "had nothing to do with the earlier pancreatitis" even though there's not a first mention of a pancreatic illness.

Benny Rubin did play a variety of roles on the Benny show, but probably his most popular one was the part of the information clerk in the "Railroad Station" episodes. Jack would ask Rubin simple questions like "What time does the train leave for Chicago?", etc. and Rubin would always reply with "I dunno". What was really funny about the routine was that Rubin would START saying "I dunno" in a flat, deadpan-sounding voice...but his reply became louder and more irritable-sounding with each succeeding question that Jack asked.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]