Re: A GREAT Benny Rubin Character

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLaura Leff on December 12, 2001 at 01:22:42:

In Reply to: A GREAT Benny Rubin Character posted byGerry O. on December 11, 2001 at 17:24:19:

: Benny Rubin did play a variety of roles on the Benny show, but probably his most popular one was the part of the information clerk in the "Railroad Station" episodes. Jack would ask Rubin simple questions like "What time does the train leave for Chicago?", etc. and Rubin would always reply with "I dunno". What was really funny about the routine was that Rubin would START saying "I dunno" in a flat, deadpan-sounding voice...but his reply became louder and more irritable-sounding with each succeeding question that Jack asked.

Yes, an excellent example! Rubin also played this character in some of the television shows, although Joe Besser sometimes stood in as a similar "I dunno" character on TV. Rubin was an amazingly diverse character actor, and I recall him playing an Italian barber on the TV episode where Darla Hood guest starred and Jack, Darla, Don, and Roch all do a recreation of "Our Gang" (as Alfalfa, Darla, Spanky, and Buckwheat, respectively).

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]