Speaking of character actors...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLaura Leff on December 12, 2001 at 01:28:50:

For everyone who attended the last chat (and those who didn't that still listened to the Don-cufflinks show)...

We were talking about who played the lingerie clerk, and no one knew. Well, stumbled across in my notes later that evening that it was ELLIOTT LEWIS. This character was what was known between the staff as "the mooley guy". Phil Harris mentioned this to me during my interview with him, and I didn't click with it because "the mooley guy" didn't mean anything to me. In the detailed writers' notes that I have for some episodes, it attributes this to any time that Elliott played a character that was a sort of rough, boorish, heavy New Jersey-accented type (nothing against New Jersey, of course). Another example is in a couple shows where a fellow comes into the doctor complaining that he speaks too beautifully for his job (I remember this done in "Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hyde"), so the Doctor (generlly Jack) gives him some powders and "he becomes mooley". I think once he became Andy Devine, who wouldn't really be "mooley".

So there you go. It was Lewis. Case closed.

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]