Re: "Authorized" Benny Sites/Merchandise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLaura Leff on December 19, 2001 at 13:47:03:

In Reply to: "Authorized" Benny Sites/Merchandise posted byGerry O. on December 18, 2001 at 23:09:13:

: There are several of the classic TV comedians (both living and deceased) who have web sites and merchandise for sale...and these are authorized by either the comedian himself or his family/estate. Sid Caesar, Bob Hope and Red Skelton each have their own authorized web site, and each site offers authorized videos of excerpts/sketches from their TV shows.

: Does anyone know if there are any plans to offer authorized Jack Benny videos for sale? I particularly think that it would be great to offer material from Jack's color NBC-TV specials on video. Those old Public Domain kinescopes from the 1950's are fun to watch, but I would love to see a nicely-packaged "official" Jack Benny video set, with program material in pristine quality.

The estate seems to prefer licensing the rights to other people who market the shows, images, etc. The television shows are a somewhat stickier issue, because there are only about 8 of them that are in the public domain. The rights to the rest of them are owned by MCA (who bought J&M productions), not the Benny estate. I have made some inquiries to MCA, but not received a response as yet. Although the majority of people seem to feel that Jack's best work was on radio, the television shows can be quite fun as well. Since they've only had limited exposure over the past 20+ years (except for CBN in the early 80s, a short run on TV Land, and the occasional independent that picked up the syndication package), Jack's television work seems to be the least-known media work. Would love to see a set that enables people to enjoy these treasures.

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]