Re: Date of Show

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on February 10, 2002 at 20:56:02:

In Reply to: Re: Date of Show posted byLaura Leff on February 10, 2002 at 20:04:41:

: : Hi Everyone,

: : I have been collecting old radio shows for 20
: : years. I bought a Jack Benny show from Adventures
: : in Cassettes. The show was titled Jack gets a date
: : w/four movie stars no date. Does anyone know of
: : a date. I looked on a Jack Benny log and could not
: : find the show..

: Don't feel badly...that show has puzzled collectors (including me) for years. It seems to be a "fake" Jack Benny show, where someone spliced and opening and closing onto an excerpt from another show. The best I can figure is that it was from a guest shot on another show, like "Command Performance".

: LL

I know for a fact that the show is NOT an episode of "The Jack Benny Program", but rather an episode of the AFRS show "Mail Call".
For years I had the "fake" version with the Jack Benny show opening tacked on to the "Jack Dates Four Actresses" story, and the show fading out at the end of the story, with no program close...and BOY, did it frustrate me!
A couple of years ago I finally acquired the complete "Mail Call" version, complete with REAL opening, closing...and much better audio quality.
Although it isn't an actual Benny program, it IS a HILARIOUS half hour! Paulette Goddard, Jeanne Crain and Jinx Falkenberg are all funny with Jack, but I'm especially partial to Claudette Colbert in this show....Claudette was a close personal friend of Jack and Mary in real life, and her appearances with Jack were always very funny...She had a way of really letting poor Jack have it!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]