Re: Stradivaris

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByPapa Mo on September 21, 2000 at 09:07:24:

In Reply to: Re: Stradivaris posted byLaura Leff on September 20, 2000 at 12:36:22:

: : I was listening to one of the old programs about his playing the Bee, He says something about his violin being a stradivaris. My question is when did he actually purchace a stradivaris?

: One of Jack's jokes about his violin was variations about it being a Stradivarius ("It's a Strad. Joe Strad.").

: However, it is true that Jack did purchase a Stradivarius (he also had a Pressenda), but off the top of my head I don't know exactly when it was. The two violins were the most valuable objects in his estate, and they were donated to the Los Angeles Symphony upon his death.

: --Laura Leff
: In Joan Benny's SUNDAY NIGHTS AT SEVEN on page 233 Jack himself writes, "In 1957. . . I acquired a Stradivarius. I paid $16,000 for it at that time. Today in 1972, I am told by experts it is worth $50,000. . . I also play another fine violin, the Pressenda, which, while not as valuable as the Strad, is an equally fine example of the violin maker's craft." Papa Mo

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]