Re: Did Jack often socialize with members of his cast?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByRadioMaster on March 10, 2002 at 23:27:23:

In Reply to: Did Jack often socialize with members of his cast? posted byBob R on March 10, 2002 at 21:25:21:

: I have often wondered if Jack and Mary socialized with any of his cast ie Phil Harris, Don Wilson,Sheldon Leonard,etc.Did he and Mary separate their personal lives from that of the cast and crew?I recall reading that Jack often ran around with the guitarist in the band.

Jack generally did not socialize with the members of his cast. He did not look down on them, but Mary made sure that their social outings were with 'top drawer' people like Louis B.Mayer (MGM Studios), Clark Gable (Carole Lombard), among the more famous movie stars, stars of vaudeville and of course, George and Gracie.
During the war roadtrips to California bases, it was a totally different set of circumstances. I believe one of the more famous books about Jack tells a story about Jack driving and Frankie Remley (the supposed guitar player) telling Jack a story so funny, Jack had to pull off of the road and let Frankie drive (LL could confirm this). This was not a "social outing" per se, and was concerning his "work".
When they did broadcasts from remote places, the cast and crew would eat together but I don't think they slept in the same hotel.
Jack was on very friendly terms with his cast and crew but this should not be confused with his social life.

RM

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]