Re: Speaking Of Smokes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLaura Leff on March 16, 2002 at 18:39:30:

In Reply to: Re: Speaking Of GREAT Singing posted byGary on March 15, 2002 at 20:33:46:

: You know, I'm a bit of a youngin' (33)so when I hear those ads, I just think how incredibly naive we were back then to believe that smoking was harmless. But it sounds like some feel that Jack and others were aware of the negative effects of smoking and sold the product anyway. What gives?

Phil Harris mentioned that the cast was a bit upset when they heard that they were switching sponsors to American Tobacco. However, this was not so much for the carcinogenic product, but that it seemed that shows sponsored by cigarette makers went off the air not too long thereafter. (Perhaps tobacco had more fatal effects than just the physical.) Obviously, Jack's show broke that jinx, running 11 years under their sponsorship.

I'm also half amused that the push the "fine, light, naturally milder tobacco", "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco", etc.; I am told by those in the know that Luckies today are one of the roughest smokes around.

--Laura Leff

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]