The "Blossom & Benny" Incident...I Looked It Up....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on March 21, 2002 at 04:57:50:

In Reply to: Re: Jack and Mary's Social Circle posted byMaria on March 11, 2002 at 16:10:05:

: I thought it was that Joan didn't want them to perform necessarily, but her parents both kind of talked her into it. I don't remember Mary not wanting Blossom & Benny to perform.

I looked up the incident in the 1990 book "Sunday Nights At Seven" written by Joan Benny (and including portions of Jack Benny's memoirs for an intended autobiography). On page 197 (of the Warners Books edition) Joan explains the story.
It WAS Mary who was worried about having Blossom and Benny perform, and she approached Joan about it. However, in reading over the incident again, I should be fair to Mary....While she was hesitant to have the couple perform, she was ALSO concerned about hurting their feelings by NOT asking them to perform. Mary considered the situation to be a real dilemma.
Fortunately, Jack stepped in and saved the day...When he introduced Blossom and Benny to the teenaged crowd, he built up the couple by giving the teenagers a little "history lesson" and telling them just how famous and popular the team was in the days of vaudeville. By doing that, Jack helped to put the team's act in perspective and to give the young people a true understanding and appreciation of Blossom and Benny's career and talent....WAY TO GO, JACK!!!!!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]