Re: Marx sister?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on March 23, 2002 at 21:33:17:

In Reply to: Marx sister? posted byGary on March 23, 2002 at 18:27:39:

: What...what's this? Mary Livingston's name wasn't Mary Livingston, but rather Marx?

: I just found this out. I know that actors have often changed their names for their careers. (Archibald Leech et al), but was that the case here? Did Ms. Marx originally play a character named Mary Livingston, and people just started calling her that, or did she take that name before going on the air?

: And one more thing, just to brew up some heated spring debate...The dizzy blonde is a staple of modern television and cinema. I imagine it even preceded Gracie Allen, but did Dennis Day (and what was his real name?) originate the Dizzy male?

Actually, Mary's real name was Sadie Marks (at least that's the way that it's spelled in all of the bios), but she WAS a distant cousin of the Marx Brothers.
She started playing a character named Mary Livingston on Jack's earliest radio programs, and the name just sort of stuck....Just like Eddie Anderson was commonly referred to as "Rochester"...even in movie, radio and stage appearances which had NOTHING to do with the Benny program.
As for "Dennis Day", or his real name of Eugene McNulty, he didn't exactly originate the "dizzy male"...One can find traces of dizziness in Kenny Baker's character during the "Jello-O" years. However, Dennis certainly PERFECTED the character! (I've often thought of Woody on "Cheers" as a "direct descendant" of Dennis!).

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]