Re: Musical Numbers On The Benny Show

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByBobR on April 03, 2002 at 20:30:20:

In Reply to: Musical Numbers On The Benny Show posted byGerry O. on April 03, 2002 at 08:45:30:

: Maybe it's just me who feels this way, but I thought that I would ask the rest of you about it....

: I really LOVE the musical band numbers on the 1930's "Jell-O" radio shows. Whether they're the catchy dance tunes of Johnny Green's orchestra or the lively swing arrangements of Phil Harris' group, those musical numbers are a real highlight for me. In fact, most of the time I receive new tapes of Jell-O broadcasts, I find myself fast-forwarding to the "Play, Phil!" portions of the program to find out what the musical selections are.
: While I think that the quality of the comedy writing improved as the Benny radio program went through the 1940's, I really miss those 1930's-style orchestra numbers.
: Does anyone else here feel this way?

I agree that Phil's musical numbers are lively,although Phil's singing voice is terrible (except for "That is what I like about the South")I also think Phil was a brilliant choice both as part of the cast and his musical arrangements.What was his true feelings toward Mary or was it a put on?

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]