Speaking of Kenny Baker...Here's A Question....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on April 04, 2002 at 22:25:09:

In Reply to: Re: And Speaking Of Sexy Cast Regulars.... posted byMaria on April 04, 2002 at 21:58:34:

I have a "Kenny Baker" question which I've wondered about for a while....

Does anyone know the REAL reason why Kenny left the Benny program?
There are various stories which make the rounds...the most popular one is that Kenny left Jack to join Fred Allen's program, but that is NOT true! While Kenny eventually appeared with Fred on "The Texaco Star Theatre", Kenny joined the Texaco show a full year before Fred took over as the star. When Kenny joined Texaco, the hour was being hosted by Adolph Menjou (and later John Barrymore and STILL later Ken Murray), while Fred was still starring on "Town Hall Tonight" for Bristol-Myers.
The strange thing is that the Menjou/Barrymore/Murray hosted versions of the Texaco hour weren't NEARLY as well-written or as popular as Jack Benny's program....in fact, most of the recordings I've heard of them are pretty dismal, unfunny shows.
For the life of me, I can't understand WHY Kenny would have left Jack's show, especially when he was STILL only a featured vocalist on the Texaco show, not the star/host...and to this day there hasn't been a concrete reason why Kenny defected the Benny program.
Can ANYONE shed any light on this mystery?

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]