Re: Hey, I taped it!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on April 14, 2002 at 07:22:41:

In Reply to: Hey, I taped it! posted bykurt on April 13, 2002 at 19:36:59:

: I just realized I taped "Buck Benny Rides Again" as well as "Man About Town" when they were broadcast on AMC. I had no idea that both weren't in general circulation.

: They're not THAT good, actually. "Buck Benny" features an appearance by Carmichael, which was a funnier idea always on the radio. Both movies give Eddie Anderson a chance to dance. He was doing the glide step decades before Michael Jackson claimed to have invented the moonwalk.

Kurt, when you mention that those Benny films "aren't that good", I agree with you in the sense that they are not "great FILMS"....as I mentioned in an earlier message regarding the Benny Paramounts, nobody would ever confuse them with "Citizen Kane" or "Gone With The Wind"...but they ARE fun to watch in a "park your brain at the door and enjoy" sort of way.
The one really negative aspect about some of the radio show-related Benny films ("Buck Benny Rides Again", "Love Thy Neighbor") is that a viewer almost HAS to be familiar with the Benny radio show in order to really enjoy and appreciate the films. Other radio comedians, like Bob Hope and Burns & Allen, made films which didn't rely on their radio program for stories, gags and characters, but many of Jack's Paramounts were more or less feature-length filmed versions of his radio program....which insured box-office success when they were first released, but which limits their present-day audience appeal...Aw heck, I STILL like 'em!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]