Re: John Tackaberry

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByStace Tackaberry on April 28, 2002 at 13:51:17:

In Reply to: Re: John Tackaberry posted byW. Gary Wetstein on July 29, 2001 at 11:44:38:

Dear Gary,

I am sorry to be so long in getting back to you. I have been working on a book and have not been as diligent as I might have been about visiting the Jack Benny web site.

I don't have any memory of my father ever mentioning any tensions between the writers. He made jokes about the others, but as far as I ever knew they were just jokes. He worked almost exclusively with Milt. Basically the way they worked was as follows...On Monday (following the Sunday night show, the four of them would meet in their office (which was a 2nd floor suite in a building in the commercial area of Beverly Hills...this was when almost all of "downtown" B.H. was two story Spanish-style buildings)and work out the story line for the following Sunday's show. Then my father and Milt would write 15 minutes of the show and Sam & George would write the other 15 minutes. At the end of the week they would all four meet and meld the two halves. Then a Saturday reheasal, a Sunday rewrite and then the show.

My father retired from Jack Benny & show biz about 1956. However, in the early 60s he did some writing for Joey Bishop and Jackie Gleason. But, he didn't like the way the TV business had progressed so he quit altogether. He passed away in 1969.

Let me know if I can answer anything additional.

Regards,

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]