Re: Was nice to see some of Jacks work show up

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on May 02, 2002 at 01:40:04:

In Reply to: Was nice to see some of Jacks work show up posted bybill on May 02, 2002 at 00:18:15:

: in the Bob Hope special the other nite.. Still wish Jack and Bob both would get more recognition in the 75 year celebration of the NBC network.. I dont know of any folks that could compete in terms of sheer longevity. And I that there is no one out there that can fill the void. for the 50 year anniversary, NBC did a five part one hour radio broadcast saluting some of the major talents and events of the First Fabulous Fify!

Yes, they showed some funny clips on that Hope special...I especially loved Jack ad-libbing to the studio audience, "This is the LOUSIEST thing I've ever been in!"
Bob Hope and Jack made MANY radio and TV appearances together, guesting on each others' shows, and they really worked well together.

I must admit that the present glut of nostalgia-oriented TV specials gives me sort of a strange feeling...It's weird to be seeing the "Old Masters" like Benny, Hope, Burns, Gleason, Skelton, etc. on present-day, prime-time NETWORK TV! The networks have overlooked TV history and the early performers for SO long over the past few years...It's STILL not as much as I'd LIKE to see, but I'm gladly taking (and enjoying) what they're offering!

Monday's Bob Hope special reminded me of the EXCELLENT NBC special that Kelsey Grammer hosted a few years ago, saluting Jack Benny and his NBC specials. Sometimes the networks get a present-day star to host these tributes, and you get the feeling that the host is just there for marquee value...but somehow I get the feeling that Mr. Grammer has a GENUINE love and respect for the work of the "Old Masters"!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]