Re: DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Bybill on May 26, 2002 at 14:57:00:

In Reply to: DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!!! posted byGerry O. on May 06, 2002 at 21:37:24:

: : In one of the odder moments of the telecast, Jack Benny, and only Jack Benny, was mentioned as the network's leading radio star, in a segment introduced by Sid Caesar. Trivia: Anyone remember the show date of the clip used? It was with Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. I think 1946.

: : But no mention of Fred Allen! For shame! The special was for 75 years of NBC, not 75 years of NBC TV!

: "For shame" is RIGHT! That 3-hour mess didn't even give the early days of NBC-TV it's proper due!
: Instead of an insightful history of the network's impressive radio and TV heritage, it had more of a tacky, glitzy variety/awards show atmosphere...complete with unfunny lines and routines by present-day stars with questionable talent.
: I MUCH preferred CBS' 50th anniversary salute to Television City...at least THAT special paid genuine homage to the likes of Benny, Skelton, etc. instead of just a polite nod.
: Sorry to be ranting and raving about this, but that 75th Anniversay special was an opportunity for NBC to introduce younger viewers to some of the truly great names of broadcasting and entertainment in general...Instead it was a 3-hour infomercial for "Must See TV".
: I repeat Kurt's statement...."FOR SHAME!"

NBC did a five part radio broadcast special for it First Fabulous Fifty.. They Had it hosted by Ben Grauer (sp); Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Arlene Frances. Gallo Wines and Delta with Allis Chalmers were big sponsors. Each segment covered roughly a decade in NBC history and was replete with excerpts, trivia, and documentary.. It's too bad they simply "forgot" this time around.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]