Re: where can I find a copy of the Jack Benny Show that was the first show I ever heard.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on June 17, 2002 at 10:09:48:

In Reply to: where can I find a copy of the Jack Benny Show that was the first show I ever heard. posted byKatie vanMeter on June 16, 2002 at 18:22:33:

: About maybe two years ago when I was 11, I was listening to an old time radio staion and a comedy came on about how this guy fell down on this persons sidewalk and he was really famous, and was suieng them for the damages, he had to spend a week with these people and his seceratary fell in love with this guy and he was trying to break them up.At the same time he is putting the people in misery.At the end of the program he is telling the folks who got the sherife and he blackmails them by unmasking the wife as Lizzie as lizzie Bordan. Also the doctor discovers his leg isnt really broken so thiers no need for him to stay, he makes a deal saying that he would help the Doc. write his book if he didnt squel ,he was still tying to get hi secretary back. PLEASE contact me if you have any iformation on this pragram it is really important to me. Thankyou, Katie vanMeter

Katie, the program which you heard was NOT an episode of the regular "The Jack Benny Program".
It was a special one-hour, all-star dramatization of the famous George S. Kaufman-Moss Hart play "The Man Who Came To Dinner". Jack played the part of Sheridan Whiteside, the role originated on the stage (and played in the Warner Bros. film) by Monty Woolley.
This radio adaptation was broadcast to raise money for the Actor's Studio, and was very successful in doing so.
The actual name of the broadcast was "Hotpoint Holiday Hour" and was heard on Christmas Day (12/25/49).
The cast included such famous notables as Charles Boyer, Gregory Peck, Rosalind Russell, Dorothy McGuire and Gene Kelly.
This program is available on audio cassette or CD from "FAIR PICKINGS".
I'm not sure of their web site address, but if you do a search of "Fair Pickings", it will give you the address.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]