Frank Nelson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByWalt on July 12, 2002 at 13:25:34:

In Reply to: Re: Rochester ad libbing? posted byAdam on June 03, 2002 at 16:38:14:

: And Frank Nelson had a classic moment once. At the top of the show where Don and Jack would banter, Don mad a reference to Drew Pearson (a well known news corespondant of the time) and pronounced his name "Pear Drewson".
: Later in the show when Nelson enters a bit Jack feeds him the clssic, "Oh, you again!", Nelson responds with "Who did you think I was, Pear Drewson?!"
: I don't know for sure if this was unscripted or whether it was handed to Frank by the writers after the Don's flub. But the timing and delivery of the read was VERY funny.

It was psuedo-scripted. The actual name was supposed to be "Nelson Eddy", a reference to his famous Mounty uniform.

Jack didn't care for the line but by broadcast time, they hadn't come up with anything better. After the Peer Drewson flub, either the writers approached Frank, or Frank approached the writers (I've heard it both ways) and they changed the name, without Jack's knowledge.

As Jack got ready for the Nelson Eddy line, Frank blasted him with the new name and Jack lost it, laughing uncontrollably.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]