Kenny's "The Mikado"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on July 21, 2002 at 21:35:19:

In Reply to: Just heard Kenny Baker, 1st time. Where learn more? posted byE.F. Isaacs on July 21, 2002 at 09:01:48:

:
: Yesterday I heard Kenny Baker sing for the first time -- on a CD distributed by Yesteryear Music, called "The Wonderful 30's". I found this chat page today while seeking to learn more about Baker, and have read what the page has to say. Would someone please direct me to a place on the web where I might satisfy my curiosity about this remarkable tenor? --E.F. Isaacs

Amazon.com (as well as some other dealer sites) offer the DVD of Kenny's 1939 film "The Mikado". He went to England to star in this Technicolor version of the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta.
There are two schools of thought on this film....
There are some Gilbert and Sullivan purists who look down on this film as a watered-down version of the original stage production, and that Kenny Baker was ill-suited to be in this film.
However, there are others (and I am among this later group) who find the film to be very enjoyable, and who think that Kenny does a fine job with his role (and seems to be having a lot of fun with it).
Kenny Baker is a unique personality....It's very easy to dismiss him as just another high-voiced tenor, but the more you hear him the more you realize that here was a great talent....a "kid" (as Jack used to call him) who could really SING!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]