pilgrimage to Waukegan

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByJADarnell on July 22, 2002 at 23:20:26:

This weekend I was very fortunate to visit Waukegan for a day. Of course I started out with seeing the statue. It is simply wonderful. Not only does it look exactly like Jack Benny, it captures his personality as well. I also saw the Walk of Stars (so glad when I saw he was listed as a violinist!), his home on Clayton St.,the Jack Benny Center for the Arts, Jack Benny Middle School, and Congregation Am Echod Cemetary. I had hoped to also visit the synagogue, but they just recently sold the building to Waukegan Baptist Bible Church and could not locate the new building. It's been mentioned that Florence (Jack's brother)has an unmarked grave in the cemetary. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Well, anyway, I highly suggest that if you haven't seen the statue, see it as soon as possible. And Waukegan isn't all that bad either. The view of Lake Michigan is breathtaking as well. I'm definitely going back when the Genessee Theatre opens in fall '03. It's going to look fantastic once it's finished.

~James

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]