Re: What Was Keefe Braselle's Problem?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on July 23, 2002 at 07:00:51:

In Reply to: What Was Keefe Braselle's Problem? posted byDavid M. Lynch on July 23, 2002 at 01:03:05:

: I always had a soft spot in my heart for actor Keefe Brasselle, for two reasons. One was his starring role in "The Eddie Cantor Story," which I first saw as a child, and the other was that his early 1960s summer show featured Noelle Adam, who was my first "celebrity crush" when I was only six years old. A few years ago, however, I found out that Brasselle (evidently) didn't like Jack, to the point where he used Jack as the basis for an unflattering character in his novel "The CanniBalS." [sic] Does anybody out there know why Brasselle disliked Jack?

Jack himself didn't even know what Keefe Braselle's problem was! When that book first came out and Jack found out about the unflattering "Benny" character in it, he kept saying to his staff, "I can't figure out why Keefe Brasselle (Jack always innocently pronounced it "Brazil") doesn't like me?".
A reason COULD have been sheer jealousy....In the 1950's Brasselle burst upon the entertainment scene, hoping to take it by storm....and outside of a few shots at the "big time", he was never quite able to grab the brass ring of long-lasting popularity and success. Jack, on the other hand, was loved by his public for DECADES. We can't be sure of this, but Brasselle COULD have had a "Why him and not me?" form of resentment against Jack.
David, you may have a soft spot in your heart for Brasselle, but frankly he DROVE ME NUTS! I have a video of a 1950's "Colgate Comedy Hour" TV show that he hosts, and he makes Jerry Lewis look like a shrinking violet! He bursts on stage with this pushy and obnoxious "Hey World, look at me! I'm Mr. ShowBiz! Aren't I GREAT?" attitude, and it doesn't get any better as the hour wears on. Jack on the other hand, could just leisurely stroll on stage, stand there and chat with the audience, and he would have them in the palm of his hand.
Who says that there is no justice?

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]