Re: A TRULY Ironic Twist!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByDavid M. Lynch on July 24, 2002 at 01:29:14:

In Reply to: A TRULY Ironic Twist! posted byGerry O. on July 24, 2002 at 00:18:26:

: David's questions prompted me to search my broadcasting-related books to find out more about this Benny-Brasselle situation.

: In looking through a history of CBS, I was surprised to discover that although Jack had never met Keefe Brasselle, Jack INDIRECTLY was the cause of Brasselle losing his "executive" position at the network!

: Because of the terrible and heartless handling of Jack Benny, Paley fired both James Aubrey and Aubrey's right-hand man, KEEFE BRASSELLE!
: It was Brasselle's firing that prompted him to the write the bitter "novel" about a TV network (which EVERYBODY knew was supposed to be CBS) and it's "loser" performers.
: So in some twisted way, Brasselle could have blamed Jack Benny for his being fired from CBS!

WOW! That MUST be it! I knew of Brasselle's executive position at CBS, but never knew the circumstances of his leaving the network. But it certainly seems like something any self-respecting scapegoater would need to blame on someone else! Thanks for the insight!

And here I was, wondering if Jack had seen Brasselle's stint in "The Eddie Cantor Story," and had uncharacteristically panned Brasselle's portrayal of his friend.... (Just kidding!)

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]