Re: The 50 cents

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on August 16, 2002 at 12:26:08:

In Reply to: The 50 cents posted byGracieAllen on August 16, 2002 at 08:55:23:

: Does anyone know who played Winston Churchill, Jimmy Cagney, Cray Grant, Ronald Colman and the 'poor' man on the episode where Jack gives away 50 cents to a man and dreams he buys a lottery ticket. (I have no Idea of the date it was aired on) I had heard somehwere that Dennis Day and Somebody Lewis (Cathy Lewis's husband) voiced half of the characters each but I wanted to know who played whom. I was guessin that Dennis Day played Colman but couldn't distinguish who else. Thanks!

Well...I'll take the last part first.

The panhandler was played by Frank(ie) Fontaine, later of fame on the Jackie Gleason show as Crazy Guggenheim. He had a short regular character on the show (including that episode) as John L. C. Silvoney. In fact, it's the show that I need to put up for our next monthly chat.

Ronald Colman usually played himself. However, Dennis did an extraordinary impersonation of him. In fact, Dennis' impersonations were so good that when he portrayed Jerry Colonna during a spoof of Bob Hope's show, even Colonna's own family thought it was the real McCoy (er...Colonna!).

"Something Lewis" is probably Elliott Lewis. But I can't say for sure who did Churchill, Cagney, or Grant without hearing the show. Hope this helps!

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]