A Refreshing Change of Format

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on August 16, 2002 at 17:55:44:

In Reply to: Somebody, I say, somebody knocked! posted bykurt on August 16, 2002 at 16:59:36:

Before we come down TOO hard on Fred Allen's later half-hour programs, I should say that I LOVE Fred's final radio season (sponsored by Ford).
The poor guy was being KILLED in the ratings by ABC's "Stop The Music" quiz show, and he decided to change his show's format.
Instead of the image of a bunch of radio actors standing around a microphone in a studio, Fred returned to his old "Town Hall Tonight" days to create a small-town mental image for the listener.
Fred would "park his Ford", meet Portland on Main Street, and the two of them would stroll down the street, meeting various "Allen's Alley" characters and guest stars along the way.
It was a much more relaxed and leisurely half-hour than what the Allen program had been during the previous few seasons.
There was even pleasant "strolling" music played while Fred and Portland took their walk, and you heard various sound effects of cars and other traffic in the background...
It was really a nice touch to Fred's program....It's just too bad that the listening public was STILL more interested in winning money and household appliances!

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]