NYC "Ballroom" Broadcasts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByGerry O. on August 17, 2002 at 06:40:32:

Some of you have posted messages stating what you picture in your mind when you listen to a Jack Benny program.
On the non-sitcom episodes where Jack and the cast just stand in the studio and talk, most of us picture the gang standing around microphones on a stage or in a radio studio.
I've just listened to (again) the batch of shows from March of 1937 where Jack and the cast broadcast from New York City. These shows were not broadcast from NBC's NYC studios, but rather from hotel ballrooms....first the Waldorf-Astoria, then the Hotel Pierre.
It's funny, but whenever I listen to these hotel-originated episodes, I always picture a very elegant and classy setting....big crystal chandeliers, super-shiny floors, etc. And I always picture Jack and the cast in formal attire...the guys in black-tie and tuxes, and Mary in an evening gown.
Outside of references to the hotel ballrooms, there's really nothing different about these broadcasts...at least nothing different from a typical studio-based show. However, the power of radio (and my imagination) allows my mind to paint this mental picture of Jack and Company doing their show in very elegant surroundings....and to me, it adds something special to these particular episodes.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]