Re: Jack Benny TV Biopic...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByAdam Burke on August 22, 2002 at 12:23:01:

In Reply to: Jack Benny TV Biopic... posted byJeff Gross on August 22, 2002 at 03:45:37:

: Hi, folks - we are currently mounting a Jack Benny TV biopic - I would love to hear from the fans on their thoughts!

: Please e-mail me on your opinions and take on a two-hour movie on the life of the one-and-only JACK BENNY. Especially if you have seen Eddie Carroll's one-man-show, "Laughter in Bloom." Thanks!

: jeff@laughingduck.com

I think the idea is a great one, and due someone of Jack's acheivements. Eddie Carrol of course would be perfect for the part. I've seen his show and he truly is a great actor, and not just a talented impressionist. For example, you would hire Hal Holbrook to play Mark Twain, but you wouldn't cast Rich Little to play Nixon. From a story telling standpoint, I think it's important to pick a period in his life that provides enough conflict to pull an audience into the story as opposed to an A to Z profile of his life and accomplishments. Any of Jack's larger network confrontaions would provide a solid "Daniel and the Lion"-type of dynamic to his story, allowing you to cover the breadth of his accomplishments while creating a dramatic angle to keep the story engaging. What comes to mind is his transition to CBS due to when NBC had retained, for negotiations with Jack, the services of the lawyer who had prosecuted Jack years earlier during the smuggling scandle. There were also instances later at CBS involving a programming exec. and his underling that forced Jack back to NBC. Good luck, and let me know if you'd like to hire me to write a draft! :-)

Adam

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]