Re: Phil's padded laughter

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByBill Harris on August 29, 2002 at 00:23:06:

In Reply to: Re: Phil's padded laughter posted byGerry O. on August 22, 2002 at 10:38:42:

Red Skelton often laughed at his own jokes.

: : I've noticed listening to Jello programs prior to '39 one can clearly hear Phil Harris "padding" the laughter after punchlines during his routines. On later programs it is gone altogether. Does anyone else notice this? If so, does anyone know if it was a specific direction given to Phil or just a lack of broadcast savy at the time?

: : Adam

: I've noticed Phil's laughing at punch lines on those earlier shows too.
: Part of it could be that in later years Phil was just more USED to getting laughs. During his first few years on the Jell-O Program, the idea of Phil getting laughs was a new one...especially to HIM!
: I tend to think it's like when someone (NOT a professional comedian) at a get-together tells a joke that gets a big laugh from the other guests. If the joke teller isn't used to telling jokes and getting a big punch-line laugh, the teller will probably laugh right along with the others....It's more of a "Hey, look what I just did...I made everybody laugh!" type of laugh. However, if someone has a LOT of experience telling jokes and making people laugh, then it's a LOT easier to sit quietly after you tell the punch line and let the crowd do the laughing.
: I think that Phil was able to keep from laughing at his punch lines and joke reactions once he acquired enough comedy experience....Just a thought.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]