Re: Jack and other comics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted Bykurt on August 31, 2002 at 20:51:19:

In Reply to: Jack and other comics posted byBobR on August 31, 2002 at 20:04:10:

Jack's reported relationship with Groucho was about as complex as Groucho's relationships with other comics; Groucho was known to have had a prickly relationship with George Burns as well, for instance.

Jack and the Marxes first met when he was still a violinist in the pit orchestra in Waukegan. Mother Minnie Marx supposedly wanted him to go on tour with the brothers, but Jack's mother refused; he was still just 16.

Groucho's scheduled appearance on Jack's radio program in the 1940s was put off because Jack refused to let him reject the writers' material. Groucho finally appeared in 1944, but that program isn't exactly a classic.

Yet, one of Groucho's favorite TV appearances (he was known to run the film of it repeatedly for guests) was his 1950s guest spot on the Benny program which included a very funny spoof of "you Bet Your Life."

For his final bow on that program, Groucho cuffs Jack affectionately around the neck. That's an extremely unusual gesture.

: Jack had many wonderful relationships with other comedians ie Fred Allen,George Burns,Bob Hope,and others,but I am curious to know that of Groucho Marx.I recall that Groucho did not care for Jack's writers' material and Jack refused to accept Groucho's criticism.Also I heard a recording of an appearance at Carnegie Hall with Groucho sarcastically "destroying a Stradivarius" of Jack Benny (known for his appearances there)and ridiculing him.Any more info on this relationship?

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]