Re: Christian Holiday References

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on September 17, 2002 at 14:55:13:

In Reply to: Christian Holiday References posted byScott on September 15, 2002 at 17:26:28:

: Please understand I am NOT anti-Semitic toward Jack Benny, his family, and anyone of the Jewish faith. My question is Mr. Benny and his cast often referred to Christmas (including buying Christmas presents and greeting another by saying, "Merry Christmas!")and Easter, yet I believe he was Jewish. Did he use Christian holiday references in order not to offend his non-Jew listeners, sponsors, and the network(s)? Thanks!

It's a valid question, and one that's raised often. Your sensitivity is appreciated.

As Kurt indicated, take a look at the exchange on this Bulletin Board about "Was Jack a practicing Jew?" If that doesn't answer your question, post a follow-up to this thread (I don't know how many people scroll down much to pick up "new" responses).

I was laughing last night as I was driving home from Yom Kippur services. I always post the "doctored" picture of Jack with a Santa hat in the corner of our frames during December. Was thinking during the High Holidays (Rosh Hashanah to Yom Kippur) I should put a talis (prayer shawl) and yarmulke on Jack. Then again, it's ironic that he was such a "secular Jew" that the Santa hat would be more in keeping with who he was than the talis.

Besides...I can't remember ever finding anyone who didn't like the Christmas shopping shows. How could you do a comedy program (on a non-Yiddish network) about Yom Kippur? Jewish holidays, by and large (except for Purim), don't lend themselves well to humor. See the comedic chestnut (Lenny Bruce?) about how Gentiles "celebrate" holidays, while Jews "observe" them.

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]