Re: Lucky Strike

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLaura on January 25, 2001 at 12:46:34:

In Reply to: Lucky Strike posted byScott Thiel on January 25, 2001 at 04:55:37:

: I was wondering if Jack and the gang really smoked Lucky Strikes?
: Is Lucky Strike still being made today?

No and yes. Jack smoked cigars, not cigarettes. Mary, on the other hand, smoked Parliaments (not an American Tobacco Company product). In the negotiations with ATC, a special clause was put into Jack's contract that Mary would be allowed to smoke whatever brand of cigarettes she desired.

Lucky Strike is still being made today. I am told by those in the know that it doesn't qualify for the claim of "naturally mild tobacco" any more. Their ads (in this part of the country) seem to be trying to break their previous image of being for "old guys" and appealing to the "young toughs" market.

Interestingly (at least to me), Lucky packs before the war were generally green. During WWII, ATC started an ad campaign that "Lucky Strike Green has gone to war!" to focus on their white packaging. This was to infer that the green dye used for the old Lucky packs was now being used for military purposes, which was not true. Lucky Strike green must have been a casualty, because it never did return after the war.

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]