Re: They're SORT OF saying something

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on September 24, 2002 at 19:36:04:

In Reply to: They're SUPPOSED to be saying something posted bykurt on September 24, 2002 at 16:13:53:

I remember going to the flea market in Shipshewana, Indiana on a class trip in high school. The teacher, knowing I was an antique collector, made a comment about, "Everyone can go to the flea market that's beyond the barn. If you can understand the auctioneer, you can go to the auction in the barn. But Laura's probably the only one who can do that."

So everyone got off the bus and headed for the booths, and I went into the barn. Inside of a minute, I swung around to see the back of an old radio. Walking around to the other side, I saw it was a Philco 1931 Model 90 (pretty much the prototypical cathedrale radio, you can see it on the OTR Digest ad at the bottom of our links page). "Has this gone up?" I asked. Yes. "How much did it bring?" A dollar. "I'll give you two!"

"Eh, just take it. The guy who bought it didn't want it anyway. I had tremors in my arms for three days, but I carried that radio around the flea market for the next three hours, and I still have it today.

But that doesn't answer the question. Going from memory, one call (I believe it's Riggs) calls "49 American", indicating the lot was sold to American Tobacco for 49 dollars (or 49 plus some number of zeros). The other call starts at 65, and has a lot of what I've heard auctioneers call "filler" (dingle-ingle-ingle doodle-oodle-oodle...) Filler is used by some auctioneers while waiting for a higher bid. A professional auctioneer would have to tell you more about why that is done. Some will use just nonsense words, while others will just repeat the same line over and over ("I've got twenty I've got twenty I've got twenty over here Twenty twenty twenty twenty THIRTY! Now I've got thirty I've got thirty...")

Does that help?

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]