Re: While We're On The Subject....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLL on October 06, 2002 at 13:31:50:

In Reply to: While We're On The Subject.... posted byGerry O. on October 05, 2002 at 23:27:59:

: Could somebody please tell me WHY most of Jack's films have never been commercially-released on DVD or VHS?
: "The Horn Blows At Midnight", "To Be Or Not To Be", "George Washington Slept Here", "Broadway Melody of 1936" (which I believe is now out-of-print) and "Transatlantic-Merry-Go-Round"...That's about it.
: Why do video companies avoid Benny films like the plague? (MCA/Universal...SHAME ON YOU! All of those fun Paramounts goint to waste!)
: Major video companies have certainly released more obscure films by less popular stars over the years...What's their problem with Jack?
==========================
A good question, and one that's been asked a lot. It is disappointing that films like "Buck Benny" and "Love Thy Neighbor" haven't been released. I don't know what criteria is used for releasing movies on video, but I imagine that there is some measure of their salability and name recognition (i.e., I would think that most of Clark Gable's and Bing Crosby's work has been released).

How many people in the general public would say, "Gosh, I really want to see 'It's In the Air'!"? I wonder too if a person in their 30s (with some noted exceptions, as the club's been getting quite a few members in the 20-30s range) would "know" the Benny-Allen feud. If not, then they may pass over "Love Thy Neighbor".

Don't know for certain, just ruminating.

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]