Re: Jaaaay-EEE-EL-EL-OOOOOO!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]

Posted ByLaura Leff on October 08, 2002 at 12:45:32:

In Reply to: Jaaaay-EEE-EL-EL-OOOOOO! posted bykurt on October 08, 2002 at 11:18:40:

: The Jell-O jingle was sung by a studio chorus.
Thanks for saying that. The more I thought about it, it sounded like more than just a quartet. I was going to pose the possibility that it might have been a combination of some of the musicians in the band and Kenny/Dennis. The acoustics of the singing sound like the singers are not right up on the microphone. Perhaps Kenny was closer to the mike, thus the greater distinctiveness of his voice.

: But on a couple of programs early in the Grape-Nuts season, in which they were playing around with a funny introductory jingle to replace the Jell-O opening, that sounds very much like the Sportsmen Quartet.
I have to give Thurl Ravenscroft a call one of these days, and I'll make a mental note to ask him.

: If you've heard the very first Jell-O program from 1934 as well as any of the rest from the first, or the 1935-36 season, you'll also notice that the jingle was sung very slowly and very distinctly, almost like a dirge. Especially on the J. That's so listeners on static-prone AM radios of the time wouldn't think they were saying H-E-L-L-O or anything else.
Thanks for clearing that up as well. I wondered why they sang it so slowly.

Hey, I learn stuff on the Forum too.

--LL

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Jack Benny Fan Club ]